Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Yoga Time With Daulton and Dixie

I am trying to incorporate more exercise into my days and I've decided the best time to do this is right when I get home from work.  Exercise also helps me de-stress from my day and if I feel a little better about myself afterwards, so be it.  Sometimes I can talk Daulton into doing it with me so we both get a little exercise.

On Monday I asked Daulton if he wanted to do yoga with me.  Before I could get the entire question out he was already changing into comfy clothes and had pulled his mat (technically one of my old ones) out and was unrolling it.  There's nothing like an enthusiastic partner to exercise with.  So I put in my Power Yoga DVD and got ready to do some yoga.

The rest of our 30 minute yoga experience went something like this:

1 minute into the program, the first forward bend happens.  Dixie thinks we are bending over to pet her and is immediately in our faces.

2 minutes:  First plank, upward dog and downward dog positions occur.  Dixie is now going back and forth between our faces seeing who will give in and pet her first.

5 minutes:  Dixie is now laying in between the front of our mats where she can maybe get petted during the forward bends.

8 minutes:  Daulton just farted.

10 minutes.  Daulton is grunting and breathing heavily.  Its distracting and not very zen like.

11 minutes.  Daulton has now fallen over and is moaning.  Dixie rushed to his side in case he wanted to pet her to make himself feel better.

15 minutes:  Daulton still moaning on the floor.  I ask him what's wrong and he said, "when I fell over my bone popped".  He then moves to the couch to recover from his yoga induced injury.  Dixie is now next to the couch comforting Daulton and hoping to get petted.

20 minutes:  We are now into the stretching portion of the workout.  Daulton has recovered enough from his injury to participate.  These exercise are also done on the floor, which means a new opportunity for Dixie to get in our faces and seek attention.

21 minutes:  I try to correct Daulton's stretching form.  He disagrees with my comments and proceeds to do what he wants.  I give up and go back to focusing on what I am doing.

22 minutes:  Daulton has stopped stretching and is staring at the yoga instructor on the TV.  He then says, "That guy looks dead."  The yoga instructor is not dead but is incredibly flexible, something Daulton and I hope to accomplish.

23 minutes:  We are both giggling at Daulton's dead man comment.

25 minutes:  The relaxation portion has begun.  This is my absolute most favorite part of yoga and have even fallen asleep during this part because I get so relaxed.  This did not happen for me on Monday.

25 minutes 30 seconds:  Dixie's wet nose on my hand causes me to jump and breaks my relaxation.

26 minutes:  Dixie is now in Daulton's face and he again comments "That guy looks dead" about the yoga instructor we are following.  I give Daulton credit, the pose we were in is called corpse pose.

26 minutes 30 seconds:  Dixie is back at my mat and is now rooting her nose under my relaxed hand in an attempt to get me to pet her.  This results in her lifting my hand and then dropping it when I don't start immediately petting her.  And the wet, cold nose is not helping either.

27 minutes:  Daulton has given up on relaxing and is now very concerned that I don't look "dead enough" like the yoga instructor.  He the proceeds to reposition my arms in a more dead-like pose. 

29 minutes:  The instructor is already sitting back up and the session is almost over.  I decide to lay there for just a few more minutes to relax until I feel someone staring at me.  I open my eyes and Daulton is staring at me with a look that I interpret to mean "aren't you going to sit up like the dead guy on TV?".  I give up on relaxation and sit up to finish the session.

30 minute:  The session is over, the mats are rolled up and put away, and our yoga experience is over. 

It wasn't the most relaxing session I've ever had but it was fun.  It's always funny to watch Daulton and while he hasn't quite mastered the art of quiet breathing, he is getting better and has learned how to do the poses.  And I know he won't always want to do yoga with me and he's already pretty close to running faster than me, so our days of exercising together and me not embarrassing myself too much are limited.  So, I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

 

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! I was laughing out loud after Minute 1! I have started running during the day, which means A C and D are in the basement with me! This also means I am constantly breaking up fights and hoping whatever's on PBS will hold their attention! Good for you and Daulton (and Dixie) for getting your exercise :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cracked me up! I love minutes 8-15. I still remember a picture you posted once of Daulton on the exercise ball, watching tv, while ejoying a snack... my kind of exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA! This post is hilarious. I could visualize your workout perfectly. If I take up Yoga in the future, I think I could really get into the corpse pose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SO funny, Ab! I love the addition about Daulton farting. I am proud of you for having an exercise plan, and this one seems like a really good one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I love seeing into small moments of life in blog posts :) Sounds like you guys are having a great time! Today I was reading a blog about a buy who puts his dogs on a doggy treadmill. It's a very funny concept, but maybe that can keep Dixie busy while you exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! :)
    Whenever Adam and I do yoga in the living room (to the P90X-YogaX DVDs), Oliver just sits on the couch and stares at us as if we're aliens. However, after we finish, he'll get up, walk in front of us, and do a perfect and effortless downward dog. The show-off!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...